Friday, November 12, 2004

micah at school

Kids are always different depending on their environment. They know behavior modifies depending on where they are and who they're with.

For Micah, daycare, although at least as laden with rules as home, is a chance to be spoiled. Yes, she has to be good to her friends and share the toys. No, she can't throw her food on the floor (or herself in a tantrum fit) and not expect a consequence. Yes, she has to clear her plate and take a nap. BUT she is definitely spoiled! (and I say that in a positive way because every child should have someone who spoils him/her)

Micah - has Robin. Her favorite teacher at daycare who absolutely spoils her rotten! She holds her constantly. She takes her on errands around the daycare so that now even the older, after-school-care kids know my daughter well! And Micah knows, that with Robin, she can get away with almost anything and have anything she wants. For this reason, as well as the fact that there are many people there she loves and little Miss Social Butterfly would almost always rather be with her friends than her mommy, I think Micah just loves being at school.

She's so close with Robin that I actually tease them both about it. When Micah won't kiss me good-bye in the morning but she's smothering Robin with kisses I'll say, "No, I'm your Mommy!! Kiss me!!" The other day when I went to pick her up, she wasn't in her room. The other kids said, "It's Micah's Mommy!" Then, "Micah no here. Her with Robin."

I searched for 15 minutes before finally getting on the loudspeaker and saying, "She's my, kid, Robin, please give her back to me now!" :) :)

So, anyway, none of this is actually why I'm blogging... Her lead teacher and I had a parent/teacher conference this week. (They're so great at this age because nothing's ever wrong with your kid! It's not like she'd be skipping school to smoke pot or anything...) And her teacher told me a couple of cute "micah stories".

One was that she was holding a dark-skinned baby and her little friend, J, was holding a light-skinned baby. J says to Micah, "My baby is white. What color is your baby?" Micah considered this for a moment and when she didn't answer J asks, "Brown?" and Micah says, "No, black."
So cute. So innocent. (FYI - Micah mixes up blue and green all the time...)

Another was that this hoarse voice I've mentioned before that gets her so much attention, has really become a favorite of hers. And apparently, she'll go around the room saying each child's name in this hoarse, deep voice. According to her teacher, the other kids just crack up over it and beg her to say their names! :)

So, from what I see and hear, she's a pretty popular kid. Which at this age, to me, means that she treats her friends well. I'm very proud of that. :)

Powered by Blogger